High temperatures continue in Argentina and the heatwave is expanding. The red alert in effect in different cities is a sign that we can all be vulnerable, even pets. How can we protect them?
At the end of November, high temperatures do not subside in Argentina and the heat wave becomes a reality in many cities.especially in the middle lane of the country, where the largest thermal anomalies occurred for several days in a row.
Inside National Meteorological Service Early Warning Systemthe country has a few remaining regions inside red level for extreme temperatures. Once this level is reached, persistent heat stops affecting only the most vulnerable populations (the elderly, infants and children) and has the potential to affect the entire population.
And we should not go beyond this concept. our beloved pets. At Cats and Dogs, Heat stroke is caused by a sudden increase in body temperature.this leads to dehydration, increased heart rate, respiratory symptoms, excessive breathing and even the presence of mucous and gums that are intensely pink or purple due to lack of oxygenation in the blood.
In extreme cases, they may lose consciousness, experience kidney failure and heart problems.. Before any of these symptoms are seen, it is necessary to go to the veterinarian immediately.
this dogssince they do not have sweat glands scattered throughout their bodies, they can only regulate their body temperature through breathing and when they come into contact with cold surfaces, they expel sweat through the pads of their feet; pretty slow. this catsFor their part, they do this through body licking.
5 tips to prevent heat stroke in pets
- Comb: many believe that cutting hair at this time of year will help keep the animal cool, on the contrary, The hair serves to protect the animal from the sun, so you leave the skin vulnerable and unprotected when cutting. against the effects of the sun causing possible burns. Combing or brushing is the best option as it allows pets to get rid of the often thinner undercoat and stay fresher.
- Fresh and cold water: In addition, both water and food should be in the shade, the water will need to stay fresh and therefore will need to be changed more times than usual. It is recommended to use cold water or put an ice cube in natural water to keep it at a suitable temperature for a longer time.
- PlayThere is a wide variety of products on the market cooling toys that perform two functions: to entertain the animal and to reduce the heat. Special pools for claws, balls that release water when bitten, bones that are frozen and ready to be chewed, and more.
- suntan cream: necessary for dogs and cats as well as for humans, especially those with depigmented skin. There are preservatives for veterinary use, but if you cannot reach them, you can put what we use as long as it is hypoallergenic.
- 5 second rule: the coating or cement can reach temperatures between 50 °C and 60 °C at an ambient temperature of 30 °C. In this sense, walks should always be done at the lowest temperature, in shady and grassy places. In case of walking on asphalt, the hand must be placed on the pavement before and if it does not hold for more than 5 seconds the animal will not hold either.. It is important not to burn your pads as they are quite sensitive.
#protect #pets #high #temperatures
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings